Welcome to 2021! After a brief break Open Mic, hosted by The People’s Colloquium, is back online. We are open to all authors: poets, nonfiction writers, fiction writers, and songwriters. All forms of readings and spoken word are allowed, and you are not required to be a member of the People’s Colloquium to participate! In addition to readers, we welcome anyone who would like to come and listen, as reading to an audience is special.
Open mic happens twice a month.
Once on the second Tuesday at 8pm PST
One on the fourth Monday at 6:30pm PST
Here is the signup sheet for Tuesday, January 12th, at 8:00pm.
– If you are a member of the People’s Colloquium, there are two spots for members only. If you are signing up to read and they are free, please consider taking those first.
– The Special Guest Slots are specifically for authors who are not members of the People’s Colloquium to come read with us.
– All other slots are first come, first serve for all readers, but if you read the prior week, please leave the slots this week for new readers.
– There will be eight readers, each reading for seven minutes, with three minutes in between for switching and adjustments. There will be a one minute warning, and an out of time warning. If the reading continues for much longer, mics will be unmuted.
– The first ten and last ten minutes will be for setup and announcements, and allowing people who were in critique groups to switch over.
– Viewer mics should be muted for the duration of the reading. However, listeners are highly encouraged to give visual feedback during the readings such as thumbs up, applause in ASL, hearts, laughing, etc. Comments in the chat box are also appreciated.
– All genres and formats allowed. However, please be mindful of the fact that people will be viewing from home, and if a reading contains sensitive topics or adult language or content, please CLEARLY state so at the beginning of the reading. No rude or obscene gestures are allowed, even if they are part of the narrative.
– Finally, while we understand schedules can be tricky, we gently request, and highly encourage, all listeners to stay for the entire reading, to ensure that the final reader has as much of an audience as the first reader.
All readers should check in by the first ten minutes of the session, which will be open ten minutes early to allow people to work out any kinks. All readers and audience members must RSVP in order to see the zoom link. Attendees will be let in one at a time, with camera on long enough for the moderator to visually id people.
We look forward to hearing you!