Member's Forum

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Maraya K Maraya K 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Below, please find syllabi for our March 11th discussion and lecture. Typically these resources are posted 2 weeks in advance.

Theory, Criticism, and Society: 10/2018 – 3/2019
    During this semester, we’ll explore ideas from theory and criticism focusing on art, literature, music, and culture, with the further intention of applying such ideas to the creation and organization of society. Our goal is to deepen our understanding of theory and criticism, and to broaden our perspective of the world we live in—and the possibilities open to us.

Maraya K
    Maraya K
    Participant

The Metaphysics of Prejudice
    Understanding Privilege and Oppression at the Level of Consciousness

Lecture by Maraya Karena

OVERVIEW
    Using process-oriented concepts, we will explore
    1. Multi-vector understandings of power in the social world.
    2. The archetypal emotional dynamics that underpin the current political polarization of left and right.
    3. The psychodynamic mechanics of prejudice.
    4. Power and oppression as states of consciousness.
    5. What in the world to do about it all.

So often, when we discuss power, privilege and oppression we limit our lens of discourse to the social level. We debate ideas, we assert moral positions, occasionally we self-reflect. But what is truly happening at the level of consciousness when we engage in prejudice? In this lecture we will expand the frameworks used to address structural inequality to help us understand how the whole human being is involved in the process of privilege and oppression. We will take an in depth look at Jordan Peterson to juxtapose the discourse of institutional privilege with the psychological experience of victimization and how this internal pattern is mirrored on multiple levels of social interaction. There will be a theory presentation, experiential exercises and open discussion.

KEY AREAS OF THEORY PRESENTATION
    Review of Online Culture Wars by Angela Nagel as a way to map the polarization of the current political scene.
    Understanding of Rank Theory to illuminate the multiple vectors of power and privilege at the social level.
    Approaching prejudice from a metaphysical perspective.
    Rough historical review of the rise of Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan against the backdrop of online forums and the alt-right.
    Basic phenomenological model of perception and cognition as related to self-conception.
    Overview of a process-oriented model of intersectionality, reviewing the contrast between social privilege with psychological experience.
    How discourses vs. experiences of power and oppression relate to archetypal versions of the hero’s journey with examples from Peterson’s personal growth empire.

LECTURE WILL DRAW ON THE THEORIES OF
    Maggie Nelson, The Art of Cruelty: A Reckoning, W.W. Norton & Company, 2011.
    Angela Nagel, Kill All Normies: Online Culture Wars from 4chan and Tumblr to Trump and the Alt-Right, Zero Books, 2017.
    Jordan Peterson, 12 Rules for Life, Penguin Random House, 2018.
    Julie Diamond, Where Roles and Rank Intersect, Lau Tsu Books, 2015.
    Martin Buber, I and Thou, 1937.
    Ta-Nehisi Coates, Between the World and Me, Spiegel and Grau, 2015.

Maraya K
    Maraya K
    Participant

Thank you all so much for coming to the lecture last night!

Here is a link to the recording of the talk I gave. It’s up on my website: https://marayakarena.com/the-metaphysics-of-prejudice

And a super special link to my slides on google drive: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1FFXx0vdKmpL5kTIPv9-wwBPwOs3LbRgQ5qn29n_Aqjs/edit?usp=sharing

Great to philosophize with you and see you soon, xx

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.