This is an example. A formal teacher contract will be emailed to the teacher before each class.
THE PEOPLE’S COLLOQUIUM TEACHER AGREEMENT
This TEACHER AGREEMENT (this “Agreement”) is made by and between The People’s Colloquium, an Oregon nonprofit corporation (“The People’s Colloquium”) and [Name of Teacher] (the “Teacher”), according to the following terms, conditions, and provisions:
1. Identity of Teacher.
The Teacher is identified as follows:
Type of Entity: ❑ Sole Proprietorship (Check this box if you don’t have an LLC or
❑ Limited Liability Company (LLC)
City, State, Zip:
Social Security No.:
Federal I.D. No. (if any):
2. Work to Be Performed; Terms of Payment. The Teacher will perform services and be paid in accordance with the description attached as Exhibit 1.
3. Term of Agreement. This Agreement will start on ________, 20___ (the “Execution Date”), and will continue until the Teacher completes the work in the description attached as Exhibit 1, or until this Agreement is terminated by either party as provided below.
4. Independent Contractor. It is understood and agreed that the Teacher, while performing services pursuant to this Agreement, is at all times acting and performing as an independent contractor and not as an employee of The People’s Colloquium. The manner and means of providing the agreed services are under the sole control of the Teacher, subject to The People’s Colloquium’s right to specify teacher guidelines. The Teacher may perform services for others when the Teacher is not providing services under this Agreement, and The People’s Colloquium expects and encourages the Teacher to do so.
5. Notice to Independent Contractor Regarding Tax Duties and Liabilities. Neither federal, state, nor local income tax or payroll tax of any kind will be withheld or paid by The People’s Colloquium on behalf of the Teacher. The Teacher understands that the Teacher is responsible for paying the Teacher’s own income tax. If the Teacher does not operate through a corporation, the Teacher further understands that the Teacher may be liable for self-employment (Social Security) tax, to be paid by the Teacher. The Teacher agrees to file income tax returns either as a business entity or using a Business Schedule C as part of the Teacher’s personal income tax returns.
6. Workers’ Compensation Insurance. No workers’ compensation insurance has been or will be obtained by The People’s Colloquium for the Teacher. The Teacher must provide his/her/its own workers’ compensation coverage and provide The People’s Colloquium with evidence of such coverage or verification of its election not to be covered pursuant to ORS 656.027(7) (exception for sole proprietors). The Teacher will assume full responsibility for any liability and exposure under law relating to workers’ compensation because of any performance of services under this Agreement and will hold The People’s Colloquium harmless for and from any industrial accident or liability that occurs or arises.
7. Professional Liability Insurance. The People’s Colloquium recommends and strongly urges that the Teacher maintain during the term of this Agreement professional liability coverage covering his/her/its duties under this Agreement.
8. Equipment, Tools, Materials, or Supplies. The Teacher will supply all necessary tools, materials, and supplies for the performance of this Agreement, unless otherwise agreed.
9. Termination. Either party may terminate this Agreement by providing 14 days’ prior written notice to the other of intent to terminate this Agreement.
10. No Authority to Bind the Nonprofit Corporation. The Teacher has no authority to enter into any contract on behalf of The People’s Colloquium.
11. Compliance with Laws. The Teacher will comply with all federal, state, and local laws regarding business permits, certificates, and licenses and the Independent Contractor will obtain and maintain such permits, certificates, and licenses that may be required to perform all the Independent Contractor’s obligations under this Agreement.
12. Reimbursement of Expenses. The People’s Colloquium is not liable for any expenses paid or incurred by the Independent Contractor unless otherwise agreed in writing.
13. Indemnification. The Teacher will defend, indemnify, hold harmless, and insure The People’s Colloquium for and from any and all damages, expenses, or liability resulting from or arising out of, any negligence or misconduct on the Teacher’s part, or from any breach or default of this Agreement that is caused by the Teacher. The Teacher will take all actions necessary to comply with the terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement. The Teacher will name The People’s Colloquium as an additional insured on all related insurance policies, including workers’ compensation and general liability policies.
14. Modification or Amendment. No amendment, change, or modification of this Agreement will be valid unless it is in writing and signed by the parties.
15. Entire Understanding. This document and any exhibit attached constitutes the entire agreement and understanding of the parties, and any and all prior agreements, understandings, and representations are hereby terminated and canceled in their entirety and are of no further force and effect.
16. Unenforceability of Provisions. If any provision of this Agreement, or any portion of it, is held to be invalid and unenforceable, then the remainder of this Agreement will nevertheless remain in full force and effect.
Services to Be Performed
Position: Teacher – The People’s Colloquium
Employment Status: Independent Contractor
Insurance Requirement: As requested
Certifications Required: Those required by law
Reports To: Executive Director
Please refer to The People’s Colloquium’s “Guidelines for Teachers” for a general description of Teacher duties.
[Provide specific class information here.]
Fees for Services: $50/hour for lecturing, $25/hour for facilitating discussions.